Motive DVD is happy to announce that the dates have been locked in for the 2017 GT-R Challenge and Drag Battle event. The dates will only be made known to approved entrants. The GT-R Challenge sees the fastest and most powerful GT-Rs in the country come together, while the Drag Battle sees the quickest and fastest import street cars, incl Silvias, Evolution Lancers, Skylines and WRXs, plus an array of highly modified hi-tech street cars, converge to battle it out on the runway over two days for the title of Australia’s fastest true hi-tech street car.
2016 saw huge growth in entrants, VIP guests and coverage. The event was so big it was split into two DVDs, Motive DVD #27 and #28. We also bought over 1320 Video to cover various parts of the event, giving us global reach for the event. Our new partnership with StreetFX also boosted this ever further again, with well over 10 million video views from online features.
2017 will see the event grow to three days.
Friday – Scrutineering, administration, interviews, photos and a practice session form 3pm
Saturday – Solo runs
Sunday – Drag Battle Shootout and Grudge Runs
Thanks to Turbosmart, 1320 Video will be returning again in 2017 to feature cars and cover parts of the event. We will also be holding a meet and greet at Turbosmart on Monday 3rd April and a 1320 Video will eb attending the Drag Battle Encore at Sydney Dragway on April 5th.
Ditto Performance Engineering Ultimate Street Car
2017 will see the “Ultimate Street Car” award continue. All cars wishing to enter will meet at a pre-organised location on the Friday and drive together to Cootamundra. Tyres are permitted to be changed from street tyres to drag radials as this is common practice when going to the dragstrip or other forms of racing. The winner is the quickest car that also is able to exit the venue under its own power with no major mechanical issue.
- Quickest GT-R (GT-R Challenge)
- Quickest 4-cylinder all-wheel drive
- Quickest 4-cylinder/2-rotor 2WD
- Quickest 6-cylinder/3-rotor 2WD
- Quickest V8
- Drag Battle RWD winner
- Drag Battle AWD winner
- Ultimate Street Car – For a car that drivers to Cootamundra, race and drives home. Also must have a working radio, heater/aircon system and a full interior and a roll cage MUST be engineered.
- Motive DVD Choice – A car we like. Why? Because we said so.
- 1320Video Choice – A car they like. Why? Because we said so.
Workshops are able to sponsor a category of the GT-R Challenge and Drag Battle. There are various packages available that can include tickets, entries and preview videos of your workshop. Enquire at: firstname.lastname@example.org
MOTIVE DVD LOYAL CUSTOMER ALL ACCESS PASS
Although the event is a private film shoot and not open to spectators, we will be offering a small amount of “behind-the-scenes” passes to loyal Motive DVD customers. Info on how to purchase and the cost will only be sent out to existing Motive DVD online store customers via email. Subscribers will be offered the first round of tickets, so if you don’t want to miss out, make sure you are a subscriber! There will be one day and two day passes available this year. We will be sending out invitations in the first week of February.
HOW TO ENTER
To enter the 2017 GT-R Challenge and Drag Battle, interested car owners must first meet the below criteria, then send an email to us with a picture of their car, plus a time slip or dyno graph. If approved, we will then send back the details of the event, including the date, timings, costs and logistics.
PLEASE NOTE** – Meeting the cut-off criteria does NOT guarantee you a spot. This year we have had over 200 applications for 70 spots. They are chosen based on:
- Workshop sponsorship packages
- Previous event support
- Entertainment factor for Motive DVD viewers
The event is being held in at the start of April, although the exact dates will not be made public. For insurance reasons, all pit crew must sign a waiver and pay an administration fee to cover security and cleaning costs. No spectators are allowed.
Send an email to apply to: email@example.com
In 2017 we will be capping the event at 70 entrants with the following breakdownn
– Minimum 30 GT-Rs
– Minimum 10 4-cyl AWDs
– Minimum 15 rear wheel drive Japanese imports ( Silvia, Skyline, RX-7 etc )
– 10 spots for special interest vehicles
Entries will NOT be held until an entry form is completed and paid.
Cars must either have a low 9-sec time slip or better and meet the power cut off:
4 cylinder/2 rotor – 500KW@wheels
6 cylinder/3 rotor – 650kW @ wheels
GT-R – 650kW @ wheels
8+ cylinder – 700kW@wheels
The event is for post-1988 cars, with the exception being Japanese cars with post-88 model engines. For example, 13B in RX-3 or SR20 in Datsun 1600.
Please bare in mind that the minimum requirements do NOT guarantee and entry, only that your entry will be placed into the pending list and compared to other applicants.
**Motive DVD reserves the right to accept special vehicles of interest.
VEHICLE RULES & REGULATIONS
– Car must be registered. An online check will be performed on arrival
– Full interior trim unless you have a roll cage. Cars with roll cage can trim or remove pieces of the interior for fitment reasons but the following items are COMPULSORY:
- Driver and passenger seat with seat belts or harnesses
- Complete dashboard. Either factory with glove box, or custom full length dash that would be considered an acceptable replacement in pre 1989 cars.
- Door trims
- Centre console (unless not fitted factory)
- Carpet from under the seats forward (front cabin of car)
- Gear lever surrounds
- Rear view mirror
- Working drivers window
– Car must have an exhaust system that exits out of the rear bar, or inline with the rear bar if an opening isn’t present. Some exhaust gas must pass through this section of exhaust. Flapper valves or secondary exhaust that direct air to a “dump pipe” under the car are permitted. Side pipes are not permitted and any outlet must not be visible from looking at the car.
- Screamer pipe location is free
– Car must run side view mirrors, unless not fitted from factory
– Car must have window wipers fitted on the front windscreen
– The following items must work:
- Indicators front and rear
- tail lights and brake lights
- headlights, although one can be removed for cold air intake.
- front windows
– RADIAL TYRES ( treaded or not treaded, street legal or not, doesn’t matter. Just radial )
– Run on petroleum fuel or ethanol/petroleum blend. No methanol based fuels. All fuel will be tested at the event.
– Nitrous is allowed.
– The metalwork of the monocoque chassis must not be cut or modified except for:
- To fit intercooler pipes, intercooler and cooling system in front of car
- Holes to fit fuel lines in and out of boot
- Gearbox tunnel for fitment of larger gearbox
- mini tubs that do not go any further than the chassis rail on the rear. Must use same suspension layout as factory. Restricted to a 305mm tyre
- Old school cars that have tubs further than chassis rails and aftermarket 4-link suspension can apply to enter and will be judged based on the street use of the car and will be limited to a 275mm width tyre for parity reasons.
- front “mini-tub” is allowed but position of shock tower can not change
- Spare wheel well can be cut out but can not be left open. Must have fuel system or new false floor.
- Metalwork on outer guards is permitted for flaring and widebody
– The following lightweight replacement panels are permitted:
- Front and rear guards (inner metalwork must remain)
- Carbon/fibreglass doors. As long as required interior trim is inside. Please note f you have lightweight doors you MUST have side intrusion bars in your roll cage.
– Lexan side and rear windows are permitted. Front window must be glass
– Engine conversions are permitted as long as they fit within the factory engine bay and a bonnet fits with minimal modification.
– Must use original rear suspension layout. IRS stay IRS and live rear end remain live rear end. 4-links can not extend past original suspension area. Pick up points can be modified, but factory suspension layout and subframe must remain.
– Driver must wear helmet, long sleeve shirt and pants and enclosed shoes.
– 4-point harness is recommended although not compulsory
– Driver MUST have a valid driver’s license or ANDRA license
– Car MUST be equipped with a TOW POINT front and rear to allow recovery vehicles to flat tow
– Cars MUST be equipped with a fire extinguisher
** We will have an official adjudicator and scrutineers for 2017 to check all cars comply with the rules. Any cars who do not pass will be exempt from competition.
If you have any questions or queries, or want a modification approved, contact:
DRAG BATTLE SHOOTOUT RULES & REGULATIONS
The Drag Battle Shootout will be held on Sunday at 10.30am-12.30pm
- There will be three different categories:
- 4-Cylinder All Wheel Drive
- The winner of 4-Cylinder AWD will race the winner of GT-R categories for the AWD outright winner.
- The Outright Winner of AWD will race the winner of RWD for an overall Drag Battle Champion.
- Pairings will be determined by pulling names from a hat. This will be done at 9.30am on Sunday. Entrants who miss this will not compete
- The thrash pad will be open for warm up and testing from 9.45am
- Racing is by elimination in each round.
- All classes will run in each round before going to the next round
- All cars must run enough fuel to complete the entire Drag Battle Shootout. Refuelling is NOT permitted.
- Cars can return to their pit between runs to check tyre pressures, look at data or make minor repairs between rounds but MUST be in the line-up by the time their group starts. If you are not in line when your group starts ( not when your due to run) you will be disqualified.
- A Siren from the megaphone will sound in the pit area 2 minutes before you are due to be in the line-up.
- There will be a 5 minute break between rounds to allow last car in group some time.
The GT-R Challenge will form the basis of Motive DVD #30 and Drag Battle Motive DVD #31, and also has extra coverage online and in various print magazines, both in Australia and overseas, including Street FX and 1320 Video. The event is by application and invite only. Spectators are not permitted as it is a closed film set, but each competitor has a pit crew allocation and the atmosphere makes for a great weekend of racing. The event is privately insured, and a safety management plan is available to all competitors. Please note the following are conditions of entry:
– NO filming or photos are allowed at the event by entrants, crew or Motive VIP guests. Any one found doing so will be removed from the coverage and banned from future events
– Approved entrants are NOT to make the event dates or details public
– The GT-R Challenge and Drag Battle are NOT events. They are run and insured as a PRIVATE FILM SHOOT. Any abusive or bad behaviour will not be tolerated. Drivers are resposnsible for their crew
– Motive VIP guest passes will be viable to existing Motive DVD customers. A limit of 100 will be sold.
– Drivers, crew and Motive VIP guestsMUST sign an indemnity and talent release before entering the airport. You enter and compete AT YOUR OWN RISK
– All drivers and crew must make themselves available for photography and filming. This is a condition of entry and must sign a talent release form.
The event is not only great fun and a chance to unleash the full potential of your car in a much more relaxed and open environment, but also provides great exposure for workshops and competitor sponsors.
|Name||Model||Workshop||Quickest ET||Highest MPH||Records|
|Nick Klitsas||R32 Skyline GT-R||Maatouk’s Racing||8.872||167.29||Quickest GT-R|
|Robert Marjan||R32 GT-R||CRD||8.873||168.53||Fastest GT-R|
|Anthony Maatouk||R32 GT-R||Maatouk’s Racing||9.048||158.45|
|John Apostolopoulos||R32 GT-R||C&V||9.126||166.05|
|Trent Whyte||R34 GT-R||Mercury||9.27||162.987||Quickest Manual GT-R & Outright|
|Mohammed Khan||R32 GT-R||Maatouk’s Racing||9.311||165.44|
|Aaron McGranahan||R35 GT-R||Precision Automotive||9.444||154.64|
|Mick Mansour||R33 Skyline GT-R||Motorsport Mechanical||9.478||156.79|
|Glen El-Helou||R32 Skyline GT-R||Powertune||9.592||154.64||Quickest H-Pattern GT-R & Outright|
|Ali Kaddour||Evo VIII||CRD||9.62||158.44||Quicket 4CYL 4WD|
|Tristan Trics||FORD CAPRI||WILSON NITROUS||9.637||153.06||Quickest 2WD and V8|
|Dennis Resi||R32 GT-R||Powertune||9.691||149.5|
|Daniel DiSano||R32 GT-R||JEM||9.711||151.51|
|Michael Maclean||EVO IX||Forbidden Motosport||9.747||149.01|
|John Stavropolous||R33 GT-R||Trojan||9.793||150|
|Chris Vileski||Toyota Lexen||Quickbitz||9.8||161.86||Quickdst 6-cylinder 2WD|
|Hamza Ghamrawi||R33 GT-R||JEM||9.884||148.51|
|Adam Neish||R34 GT-R||JEM||9.946||154.63|
|Chea Suthrea||Evo IX||Powertune||9.961||141.07|
|Rabee Mariam||R32 Skyline GT-R||SMD Workshop||9.961||149|
|Ryan Nichols||WRX MY04||Deshele||9.985||143.76|
|Mushin Ali||R33 GT-R||JEM||9.994||135.14|
|Alex Rusu||R32 Skyline GT-R||10.025||141.06|
|Hamza Ghamrawi||R34 Skyline GT-R||Just Engine Management||10.034||146.11|
|Michael Koval||Evo VI||V&E Rigoli||10.086||146.58|
|Mick Baghdadi||Evolution VIII||Mick’s Motorsport||10.132||155.18|
|Ali Nasser||R33 GT-R||SMD||10.2||129.31|
|Domenic Rigilio||WRX Sti||Rigoli||10.242||140.63|
|Michael Cosantzis||R33 GT-R||CRD||10.3||142.3|
|Anthony Nguyen||R34 GT-R||Powertune||10.4||148.8|
|John Apostolopoulos||R34 GT-R||C&V||10.4||127|
|Riccardo Sannio||R33 GT-R||JEM||10.416||144.7|
|Stephen Aravopoulos||WRX Sti Ver 5||Advance Motor Mechanics||10.446||138.03|
|Domenic Russio||R32 GT-R||Autostyle||10.5||145.08|
|Andrew Hawkins||R32 GT-R||CRD||10.521||134.73|
|Jason Kenny||VN Commodore||10.571||150|
|Jim Assaad||Evo Wagon||10.597||141.96|
|Max Meiers||R32 SKYLINE GT-R||POWERTUNE||10.62||131.57|
|Daniel Matwijow||Evo VIII||Tufftune||10.626||141.51|
|Con Pilli||R32 SKYLINE GT-R||MAATOUK’S RACING||10.728||130.44|
|Jason Hoang||S15 Silvia||Advance Motor Mechanics||10.749||140.63||Quickest 4-cylinder 2WD|
|Mark Axisa||S13 Silvia||10.768||141.5|
|Jason Naidoo||EVOLUTION VIII||PRECISION AUTOMOTIVE RACING||10.788||137.61|
|Chris Furuhulia||VL Turbo||10.811||137.61|
|Ninos Tammos||180SX||Advance Motor Mechanics||10.843||144.69|
|Herman Urriola||R33 GT-R||Envy Dyno||10.869||135.27|
|Michael Collins||Evo VIII MR||Precision Automotive||10.874||143.77|
|Fred Karam||R32 SKYLINE GT-R||TEAM KARAM RACING||10.926||114.79|
|Scott Diver||FORESTER GT||ICHIBAN||10.96||123.62|
|Paul Torony||S13 Silvia||Advance Motor Mechanics||10.977||148.03|
|Mitch Smith||Commodore Ute||Streamline||10.985||149.99|
|Emmanuel Dalakakis||Jeep||Modern Muscle||11.012||135.14|
|Dean Vandorakis||R33 SKYLINE GT-R||MOTORSPORT MECHANICAL||11.022||148.51|
|Manos Xiras||S13 Silvia||Advance Motor Mechanics||11.06||137.62|
|Charles Warland||DATSUN 260Z||GT AUTO GARAGE||11.144||131.97|
|Michael Baydon||R33 GT-R||JEM||11.166||132.28|
|Mick Baghdadi||R33 Skyline GT-R||Mick’s Motorsport||11.177||135.54|
|Yoldas Guzel||R33 GTS-t||Advance Motor Mechanics||11.207||135.54|
|Marlon Vandine||R33 SKYLIN||JUST ENGINE MANAGEMENT||11.209||137.62|
|Brendan Kenny||VS COMMODORE UTE||LS1PWR PERFORMANCE||11.223||132.74|
|Matt Sims||VL Turbo||11.228||135.015|
|Nemz Lozo||FPV F6||NIZPRO||11.235||150|
|Steve Benz||R32 GT-R||CRD||11.244||129.33|
|Mamoon Ahmad||R32 GT-R||JEM||11.254||128.22|
|Paul Helmrich||HOLDEN TORANA||MOTORSPORT MECHANICAL||11.277||131.57|
|Jason D’Ambra||Commodore JET38T||Advance Motor Mechanics||11.279||137.19|
|Paul Barret||R35 GT-R||CRD||11.3||124|
|Scott Munday||Toyota Supra||Tuff Tune||11.304||132.75|
|Matty D’Maria||R32 GT-R||CRD||11.328||127.85|
|Jaosn D’Ambra||ADVANCE MOTOR MECHANICS||ADVANCE MOTOR MECHANICS||11.34||134.73|
|Domenic Russo||Evo VI||Autostyle||11.351||133.25|
|Con Spyropoulos||R33 GTS-t||Trojan||11.377||128.44|
|Nathan Ghosn||FORD CAPRI||BIG H RACING||11.386||128.56|
|Nick Dekantios||VL Turbo||11.398||130.43|
|Mitch Smith||R34 Skyline||Haltech||11.41||142.86|
|Chris Mullins||R32 SKYLINE GT-R||MAATOUK’S RACING||11.426||126.41|
|Angus Button||Honda NSX||V&E Rigoli||11.5||121.4|
|Jason Carlow||FPV F6||BATEMAN MOTORSPORT||11.508||135.54|
|Khaled Salameh||R34 SKYLINE GT-R||MOTORSPORT MECHANICAL||11.54||134.72|
|Katrina Lawlor||R32 GT-R||CRD||11.598||127.85|
|Andre Forner||R33 GT-R||CRD||11.6||126.75|
|Gulic Djordje||S15||SMD Workshop||11.608||136.36|
|Scott Munday||XR6 Turbo||Tuff Tune||11.625||135.915|
|Jason Carlow||XR6 Turbo||Bateman Motorsport||11.64||135.13|
|Stewart Tinson||S15 Silvia||Powertune||11.658||138.03|
|David Hennessy||R33 Skyline||JEM||11.679||133.14|
|Craig Eveleigh||Cortina||Yatla Headworx||11.68||148.52|
|Omar El-Cheikh||R34 GT-R||CRD||11.7||124.5|
|Steve Petalotis||S15 Silvia||Powertune||11.7||134.3|
|Manos Xiros||S13 Silvia||Advance Motor Mechanics||11.719||137.2|
|George Drivas||Evo IX||CRD||11.759||125.34|
|John Stavropoulos||R33 GTS-t||Trojan||11.76||133.9|
|Joey Digirolamo||R35 GT-R||Envy Dyno||11.851||122.55|
|Domenic Russo||R34 GT-R||Autostlye||11.864||138.03|
|Roby Mounfield||R34 Skyline||Mounfield Motorsport||11.875||133.92|
|Sutheara Chea||S14 Silvia||Powertune||11.9||137.8|
|Sam Boghini||R34 SKYLINE GT-R||PRECISION AUTOMOTIVE RACING||11.913||125.7|
|Sam Constandinov||Mazda RX-7||11.916||130.43|
|Adam Toretto||BMW S1000RR||11.917||131.58|
|Brock Dickinson||VL Commodore||Mercury Motorsport||11.96||130.06|
|Milan Karajic||XF FALCON||MICK’S MOTORSPORT||11.979||141.06|
|Stephen Samuels||VL Calais||SMD Workshop||12.063||134.32|
|Ali Marjan||R35 GT-R||CRD||12.1||122.7|
|Nick Nikolas||R34 GT-R||CRD||12.1||117.7|
|Sam Samuels||VL COMMODORE||12.164||131.2|
|Clayton Cosgrove||R34 GT-R||JW Automotive||12.169||138|
|Alex Cirtoski||R32 GT-R||Birrong||12.192||115.234|
|Ben Perry||Evo VII||12.22||115.68|
|Scott Bryant||Datsun 120Y||12.255||117.49|
|Robert Marjan||R34 GT-R||CRD||12.3||117.5|
|Ben Mejlak||NISSAN S13 SILVIA||IMPORT PARTS & MECHANICAL||12.453||119.05|
|Tim Papsavva||LANCER GSR||SMT GARAGE||12.69||126.4|
|Nathan Ross||Toyota Supra||ESP||12.839||125|
|David Brealey||R34 GT-R||Envy Dyno||13.18||104.65|
|Dustin Page||Toyota Supra||13.266||118.579|
|Hamid Mansour||S15 SILVIA||MOTORSPORT MECHANICAL||16.709||105.63|